Jackfruit, also called as Kathal in Hindi is a large irregular shaped oval fruit. It is often listed among the exotic tropical fruits that originated in India. Jackfruit has an interesting sweetish fibrous texture, resembles meat which many vegetarians use as a substitute. Ripe jackfruit has a bland flavour and is a bit sweet. It is often peeled before consumption and can be had raw, boiled, roasted, fried or in a curry.
How is Jackfruit good for my Health?
- Rich in Proteins & other nutrients- Jackfruits are rich in protein, starch (carbohydrate), calcium, vitamin A, B, C, copper and potassium.
- Aids Digestion- Being high in fibre, it aids digestion
- Boosts Immunity- It’s mucilagenous pulp has been found to be useful in boosting immune system.
- Improves thyroid function
- Anti-cancer benefits
- Makes your bones and skin healthy
- Improves vision and prevents cataracts (contains vitamin A)
- Lowers blood pressure
- Increases sperm count
- Low Glycemic Index fruit- Though high in carbohydrates (80%), it has a low glycemic index owing to its high fibre (11%) and nature of starch, which is of a resistant kind.
- Protects from colon, lung and oral cavity cancer due to high concentration of antioxidants like flavanoids, phytonutrients and potassium
- anti-ulcer effects
- Good for asthma and breathing disorders
Disclaimer: This page/site provides general health and wellness information. The information provided in this page/site, or through linkages to other sites, is not a substitute for medical or professional care, and you should not use the information in place of a visit, consultation or the advice of your Doctor or other health care provider.